▪ Shrimp, Jumbo – 1 ½ lbs (size 21/26)
▪ Cilantro lime sauce — ½ cup
▪ White rice — 1 cup
▪ Water — 2 cups
▪ Salt — ½ tsp
▪ Canola or olive oil — 4 Tbsp
▪ Black beans – 14 oz can
▪ Black bean seasoning
In advance: You do not need to defrost shrimp or sauce in advance.
1. Empty can of beans into a medium sauce pan (do not rinse). Add 1/2 cup water and seasoning and stir well. Simmer uncovered for 30 minutes. Add water as needed.
2. Place shrimp in a large bowl of warm water. Place unopened cilantro lime sauce packet in a small bowl of warm water.
3. Add 1 tsp oil to dry rice and stir until rice is lightly coated. Put 2 c. water and ¼ tsp salt in heavy saucepan with tight fitting lid. Add rice and stir. Bring to a boil over medium heat, then immediately turn down to simmer. Cover and let simmer at lowest heat for 14 minutes. When cooked, you can turn off heat, cover and let sit while you finish preparing the rest of the dinner.
4. Peel shrimp and discard shells. Pat as dry as possible with paper towels or a clean dishtowel. Lightly salt.
5. Preheat large frying pan over med-high heat. Coat bottom of pan with thin layer of olive or canola oil. Sauté shrimp just until they are pink and no longer translucent. This should only take 2 minutes on each side. When the shrimp are just about done, turn off heat. Empty cilantro lime sauce packet into shrimp. Toss quickly for about 10 seconds and then remove to serving dish. You want the sauce to warm up but not cook.
6. Serve shrimp with black beans and rice.