▪ Pork tenderloin (w/ rub) — 2 lbs
▪ Wild rice blend
▪ Water – 2 cups
▪ Rice seasoning
▪ Carrots – 1 lb
▪ Carrots butter – 4 Tbsp
In advance: Defrost pork tenderloin completely and set out to warm to room temperature before cooking.
See below for timing tips.
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
2. Rinse wild rice in water and strain. Put a tablespoon of canola oil in heavy sauce pan with tight fitting lid. Add wild rice and rice seasoning and stir over medium heat a few minutes. Add 2 cups water and stir. Bring to a boil over medium heat and then lower heat to where the water is just simmering. Cover and set timer for 45 minutes. You don’t need to stir, but you can check occasionally just to make sure it is still simmering.
3. Heat 3 tablespoons olive or canola oil in a large oven-proof sauté pan over medium-high heat. Sear the pork tenderloins on all sides until golden brown. Just a few minutes per side.
4. Place the sauté pan in the oven and roast the tenderloins for 20 minutes or until the meat registers 137 degrees F at the thickest part.
5. In a large frying pan, melt carrot butter and sauté carrots over med-low heat until slightly browned.
6. After the rice has been cooking for 45 minutes, turn off heat, stir and let sit covered for 10 minutes more.
7. Transfer the tenderloins to a platter and cover tightly with aluminum foil. Allow to rest for 10 minutes.
8. Carve tenderloins into 1/2-inch-thick diagonal slices. The thickest part of the tenderloin will be rare and the thinnest part will be well done. Season with salt and pepper and serve warm with the juices that collect in the platter.
Timing countdown: If you want to serve your dinner at 7pm:
Preheat oven. Start rinsing and sauteing rice at 6:00
Get rice simmering by 6:05
Start searing pork at 6:20
Put pork in oven at 6:30
Have a glass of wine.
Start sauteing carrots at 6:40
Turn off heat on rice at 6:50
Take pork out of the oven at 6:50
Serve everything at 7:00